Whether you are married, in a civil partnership or living together, a separation has major consequences. There are many practical issues that need to be sorted out. We can rescind a cohabitation agreement. We can draw up a contract stipulating how the joint assets are to be distributed. Do you own a property and have a mortgage? Then we can help you with the distribution.
We can advise and guide you with
- who gets the house. We draw up the deed and submit this to the Land Register;
- the financial settlement between the two of you. Who has which rights;
- the conversations with the bank to ensure that only the person who continues to live in the house can still be held liable for the mortgage debt;
- the smooth running of the money flow. We can take care of this through our quality account so you don’t have to wait until your ex-partner pays.
Examples of recent questions to our solicitors:
- The house has been in my name when we got married. Is a partition deed still necessary?
- I can’t pay my ex-partner the equity of our house in one go. How do we solve this?
- The past year I paid for the entire cost of the house. Am I now solely entitled to mortgage relief? Our house is flooded.
- Do I remain responsible for the mortgage?